New Islamic Directions

By Imam Zaid Shakir

Our Hearts Are Calling

Posted in articles by Imam Zaid Shakir on 2010-05-16 Thumb

Our hearts are calling out to us,
into the dark and maddening night.
Our hearts are calling out to us,
to seize our hands and lead us right.

Too blinded are we by the glare,
of power, money, war and fame?
Yet with perverse and blinded eyes,
we ignore poverty and pain.

We put a price on everything,
the land, the trees, the wind, the seas,
And if our wretched claws could grasp,
we’d even steal the summer breeze.

The oil comes forth and soils the ground,
and stains our hearts with equal share,
The stench of what our hands have wrought
reveals a soul that’s dark and bare.

Yet, will we sit and fester here,
or shall we rise and fight the beast.
To storm the tyrant’s barricades,
to crash his filthy bloodlust feast.

Defending those who’ve lost all hope,
who live in darkness and despair.
To let them know another way,
a life defined by love and care.

A life defined by servitude,
to God, to neighbor, kith and kin.
A life defined by gratitude,
with dignity the prize to win.

Can we all make it to that place
and sacrifice so very much
of what the world has made us all;
and cast away the crippling crutch?

The crutch of there’s no other way
than what before our eyes we see.
The crutch of there’s no other choice
Devil’s checkmate, fait accompli !

Have we attained to history’s end,
Oppressor trampling on oppressed?
Have we become so sinister
that there’s no wrong we can redress?

So will we listen to our hearts,
and will we heed their desperate call,
to lead our brothers to the light,
or deeper into darkness crawl?

Imam Zaid Shakir

Comments

By Hasna' on May 18, 2010 at 4:19am

I love your poetry Uncle Zaid... this line really resonated with me.. so i posted it on my facebook status We put a price on everything, the land, the trees, the wind, the seas, And if our wretched claws could grasp, we

By Shawn Taylor on September 12, 2010 at 4:32am

Al-hamdu-lilah,this is beautiful poetry Imam Zaid. It is a great reminder of the influences on the heart, positive and negative. We must be ever vigilant, and ask for Allah's help in the purification of our hearts and to save our hearts from falling into a permanent abyss of darkness that lead to eternal damnation. May Allah bless us all to go before Him with a pure heart Amen!

By Alexa on February 10, 2012 at 12:39pm

Superior web site. I like your writing comments system. My apologies for the off-topic post, nevertheless I had been incredibly impressed with Djokovic's play in the final of the Australia OPen this year. The man is just unbeatable. He showed he was as powerful as iron. Only think about he he can defeat Nadal who had previously been so determined to gain and was really so excited up in the fifth set. I am commencing to believe that Djokovic is doing some faith based work to bring some forces on his side which help him secure such matches against the best players in the world <a href="http://www.royalessays.com">buy quality essays</a>. Whats your opinion concerning Rafa's game?

By Online writing service on February 10, 2012 at 10:27pm

That's just some excellent information authored here. I thank you for terrific content material. I 'm composing a research paper concerning national healthcare and your internet site aided a great deal. I am a school student and if you're in a lack of time I recommend highly to hunt support intended for <a href="http://www.my-writing-service.com">Term Papers for Sale</a>. Cheers!

By Dissertation Writing Approved by Turnitin on April 15, 2012 at 7:10pm

Your snapshots are wonderful. I love the posts, it makes your web visitors secured to your web site. I am a student and i'm now deluged with term papers, <a href="http://www.solidwriters.com/cheap_dissertation">cheap dissertation writer</a> research papers, book reports essays papers and other responsibilities. I seriously want to write my own essays nevertheless some guide is usually desired. I want to utilize solidwriters.com for my own final buy dissertation challenge . I uncovered them by means of internet search . Can keep you published on the outcomes.

By TimurDumb on April 17, 2012 at 7:14am

I must thank you for your blog. You've a considerable amount of fascinating content as a result the website is handy. I am a college student in Southern california and I have got an essential term paper due this month. I'm tangled and currently have writers-block at the moment as I am studying. Just need anybody to aid me revise the free article I found from the internet <a href="http://www.customessaymeister.com/customessaytopics/Arts: Music.htm">arts: music essay</a>. That report meets my prerequisites however is authored in an unsatisfactory fashion and there are syntax blunders. Do you think I would proceed? I'm simply desperate for aid, therefore almost any tip can be good.